Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Where is the water inlet screen located on a kohler steam

where is the water inlet screen located on a kohler steam generator? Is this something I can clean myself, or do I need plumber?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: the steam generator is showing an error code 5. Green light is on.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its something a homeowner can do
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Do you have the model numer of the unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
series starting with K-5525
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am looking for the exact location of the water inlet screen. Is it within the copper tubing that connects directly into the generator? Or in the plastic tubing close to the water shut off? Is this something that I cans service myself, or do I need a plumber?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?

Give me a few I'm checking the specs

You have to dismantle the water piping to get to the screen. A proper installation wuold have a union installed at the water inlet connection to make taking the line apart relatively easy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Turn the water off first?

Yes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is something that a homeowner can do? No plumber required? We live in a remote area, and the plumber can't get here for 2-3 weeks. And this issue has happened before.

I have no idea your level of expertise. If you can take the water line connection into the top of the unit apart and put it back together then you can do it yourself. The screen is down inside the pipe connection on top of the unit. Worst case it doesn't work out and you have to leave it off until the plumber gets there. If this happens fairly often the manufacturer recommends an inline sediment filter in the water before it connects to the unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we were told that the sediment filter had already been installed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.