Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Do I need an air gap if I run the dishwasher drain hose

Customer Question

do I need an air gap if I run the dishwasher drain hose after making a loop and running the drain thru the floor into the main sewer line that goes out to the septic tank there is no sink near the dishwasher
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: its at my sons house and it working ok but i want to reroute the drain to the mainline below and the existing 1-1/2"line would be only a vent line that now goes up and thru the roof
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: would i need an air gap ?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You don't need an air gap fitting but you do need to loop the drain hose up as high as can then back down.