Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My Rinnai R85 water heater quit heating and gave the usual

Customer Question

My Rinnai R85 water heater quit heating and gave the usual alarm. It has gotten louder and louder over the last year. Tonight it quit. I work on many appliances in my line of work, but this one looks complicated. It appears that the blower motor may be out. My guess only. Grunts and stops. sends the alarm. Any ideas?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Severe is that I don't have hot water. Not the end of the world. It's instant in terms of regularity. The blower tries to function but wimps out. For a year or better it has gotten louder to hear.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I think I'm qualified, but do not know the unit. I would happily pay someone close to me to do the work. If not, I will roll up my sleeves.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the unit was installed in 2008. I bought the house five years ago. No service has been done in this time frame. I'd love to have it serviced but have no idea of how.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

I am a Rinnai factory trained and certified repair tech. Are you getting any error codes on the display?