Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Bradford water heater. Pilot lights but the burner won't…

Customer Question
Bradford white water heater...

Bradford white water heater. Pilot lights but the burner won't ignite. I pulled the unit out, cleaned it and reinstalled. It lit and it worked fine for a day. It seems to be an intermittent problem. I keep hearing a buzzing sound from the electronic ignition control. Ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I adjusted the thermostat. It's a 1994 unit so I don't think it has any

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a model MITW40L5LN10

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Plumbing
8/3/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like either a bad igintion control or (less likely a flame sensor issue). Since you cleaned the burner I assume you also cleaned the pilot burner and electrode. Given that the heater has lasted twice as long as expected/typical I wouldn't put any money into it since the tank could leak at any time