Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Why is my rheem rudd hot water heater squealing loudly, It

Customer Question

Why is my rheem rudd hot water heater squealing loudly
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It started about an hour ago after our discovery of a leak in the hot water heater
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We do not plan to work on it ourselves, but no 24/7 plumber available without it be over $1000 to come now What can we do now to stop squealing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, it is squealing quite loudly and it is continuous and there is a leak that we are draining off now but don't know what squealing means nor what to do about it
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I waited for your response until I could not stay up any longer, but I still need the help. The squealing finally stopped and we turned off the gas and water; however we still don't know what to expect as far as repair and since I have already committed to your service, I would like an answer as to what is wrong.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

If the tank is leaking you need a new water heater and the squealing doesn't matter. If this is a pwer vented heater then the squealing is likely a failing motor bearing in the fan motor.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

If the water heater is less than 6 years old it's probably still under warranty