Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

For two of us the superstor does fine. When we have guests

Customer Question

for two of us the superstor does fine. When we have guests we run out of hot water- how do I raise the temp
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: probably for a couple years- we have few guest to make it a real problem
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yeah, if I can find the temp control
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just where the sensors is and the control that tells the pump to turn on
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There's a small grey aquastat control (probably Honeywell) on the front of the tank. It has a dial to adjust the temp but just turning up the temp is not a solution since you risk scalding from too hot water. If you're willing to risk that (not advisable with the elderly or small children) then that's all you have to do. But to be safe a tempering valve needs to be installed by a plumber on the hot water line out of the tank. The tempering valve will mix some cold water with the too hot water out of the tank bringing it down to a safe temp.