Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have no hot water, the boiler says Error 3. And it is…

Customer Question
We have no hot...

We have no hot water, the boiler says Error 3. And it is flashing the numbers 9 74 and 6 26.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

The appliance is assumed to be 12 yrs old when the house was built. There has not been error messages before. There is also no pressure on the pressure gauge.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible, my husband is here and is very handy.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Triangle Tube Hot water specilists system
7/31/2017
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you show no pressure on the guge the first thing you have to to is ge the pressure back up. Pictures of the piping arond the boiler will make my explanation on how to do that a lot easier. Cleck on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post pics here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK do you want to send the pictures.

I want you to send me pictures of your boiler piping

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, We will take pictures right now and send

Ok

Your pics are too tightly framed. I need a wider angle so I can see all the piping

Ok, better but I still don't see what I'm looking for. I barely see a PEX line to the left that's connected just above the expansion tank. Can you give me a shot of the left side that's out of frame.

Ok, closer but I still don't see the device that controls the water pressure let into the boiler. That PEX water line looks like it transitions to copper further to the left (out of the frame pic 104). It will look similar to the pic I attached. I need to see what to the left out of frame in pic 104

Bingo! It looks like the water is turned off to your system. Do you have anti-freeze in the system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no anti-freeze. How do you know it is turned off?

Pic 106 the complicated looking device to the right which has 2 green "lever" handles which are perpendicular to the piping. That's the off position. For water to feed into the system the handles have to be in line with the pipe. That device is a backflow preventer. This type is serious overkill for a residential system. Be that as it may turn the handles so both are in line with the pipe then watch the gauge. If it rises above 15 psi turn them back off (the current position).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK my husband is doing as you told him.

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pressure is unchanged. The numbers are still the same, and the error #3 is still displayed.

Ok, try lifting the U shaped lever on the device to the left of the backflow preventer. That's the device that controlls water pressure let into the system. Appparently it's malfunctioning. Lifting the lever should override it. Lift the lever until the pressure is 12 psi if the pressure continues to rise once you lower the lever then shut the green valve off

Ok then if both green valves are open you're out of options unless your husband can solder copper tubing since the feed valve (the device with the lever) needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK , Thank you, ***** ***** time.
How do we cancel this service now

Contact customer service for payment or similar issue
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help