Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My home was built brand new 1 year and 3 months ago. Our

Customer Question

My home was built brand new 1 year and 3 months ago. Our septic tank drank lines passed county inspections. However soon after moving into our home we saw a bubble septic water coming up from line 1 and line 2 was also showing signs of water rising to the top of the grass. Long story short county inspections said our landscaper pulled too much dirt off the site making the "cover dirt" not enough cover in certain areas of the lines that were failing. The recommended at least 6 inches of cover and some areas had only 2 inches of cover. As the homeowner we know there is no way our landscaper pulled that much dirt away from the lines but we ate the cost anyway. We took the county inspections and brought in more dirt. We personally checked the lines to make sure they had over 6 inches of cover and now almost a year later the lines are failin again. The odd part is we obsessively checked the lines to make sure they had well over 6 inches of dirt and cover and now some of the lines which are full grown in with grass and roots still only have 2 to 3 inches of cover. I know its virtually impossible to check every square inch of every line but it seems that after brining in almost 2,000 dollar worth of extra dir and the lines are still failing this leads me to believe the county signed off and passed an inspection of lines that were never deep enough to begin with. At this point I can not bring in any more dirt "which parts of the line need more cover dirt" because if I do bring in more dirt my backyard will be considerably higher than my house causing a water to run back toward my home causing future problems. My question is if I cant bring in more cover dirt for fear of causing water toward my home what are my options to fix 2 of these lines. My backyard has a total of 4 lines.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir?
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Complicated question, are you talking about leach field lines?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
correct leach field lines
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

What do you mean by failing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Water is slowly seeping up into my grass yard. Imagine walking with your shoes on over my leach field lines then walk onto concrete patio and you have a wet shoe print showing. This is from the septic water. The rest of the yard is bone dry. This even happens in 90 degree weather plus with no rain for days.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If this is to complicated of a question to answer via messing please let me know so I don't waste your time or my money. Thanks
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

I'm not so concerned with the depth as much as proper grade/slope and length, as well as fill dirt composition.

Have you been in contact with the drain field person? The inspector is only responsible for making sure it's up to code. They are not responsible for functionality.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When you say drain field person do you mean the plumbing company that installed it?
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Usually a plumber installs the piping, but some one else designs the field

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The county designs the field were I live. From what I understand the plumbing company puts in the lines to a cetain depth that has been pre authorized by our county inspections.
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

It would be very odd for a government agency to design the system. No matter who designed it whether the county or the plumbe THAT person is responsible for its functionality.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to waste your time..I believe this question is to indepth for this service. Thank you for trying to help but It would require way more details than this website. I apologize for wasting your time. Thanks and have a good day!