Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am trying to replace a valve for an old kohler facuet, you

Customer Question

I am trying to replace a valve for an old kohler facuet http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Memoirs-centerset-bathroom-sink-faucet-with-lever-handles/productDetail/product:418525/418525.htm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: you have a similar article on your site which prompts on how to do this : https://www.justanswer.com/plumbing/4z346-remove-kohler-bathroom-sink-faucet-handle.html i have been able to remove the setscrew on the side of the handle but after that I cannot esem to "pull off the handle" to expose to valve
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes just a leaky faucet and I have the replacement valve I just need to get under the handle
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: been going on for a long time minor leak everytime I turn on the hot side of the faucet
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope - all I want to know is how to remove the handle of this kind of faucet http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Memoirs-centerset-bathroom-sink-faucet-with-lever-handles/productDetail/product:418525/418525.htm
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Once the set screw is out the handle should pull right off. However it's not uncommon for the handle to seize onto the stem. You can try injecting white vinegar into the hole the set screw was in which may break the handle loose after it sets a while and/or work the end of the lever up and down until it loosens up

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how long should I wait until I know that the vinegar is working or not working
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Give it at least an hour. You may have to do it several times. Before you try to take the handle off give the end of the lever a rap up then down a couple times with the handle of a screwdriver to try to jolt it loose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok now that I have to handle off, how to I access the valve. See attached picture.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

You back off that knurled collar that's at the top of the handle base. Once that's off you lift the base off and you'll see the stem which will have a hex or wrench flats to back it out. Turn the water off first of course

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok making progress, now how do I remove the valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

remove the stem extension then unscrew the collar below it. Here's a link to the install instructions wit the parts blow up on page 12 & 13
http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1117155_2.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
diagram on page 12 shows the stem extension below the collar ? so how can I remove the stem extension before unscrewing the collar ? I tried to use a wrench to unscrew the collar but it won't move, something is holding it in
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

probably seized up too. Try the vinegar again

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I remove the stem extension ? is it the thing on top of the value and should it just come off ? or does it screw off ?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

The screw into the top of it holds it in place. It should just pull off the cartridge stem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is this the stem extension that you are referring to - http://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/serviceparts:635312/635312.htm?skuId=608451&_requestid=987973
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this sites on top of the part (valve) that I need to replace and I should just be able to pull this off vertically up without unscrewing it ?
- http://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/faucet-valves/637967.htm?skuId=613413&brandId=empty&
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

yes but it looks like you have to get the collar off to access the hex on the cartridge to get it out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have put some vinegar on the base of the stem extension, I will give it an hour or so before I try to pull it off again
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still not much movement on the stem extension, where should I be putting the vinegar in from ? on the side or from top somehow ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there anyway for me to remove the stem extension as well as the vale together from the faucet frame ?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Put the vinegar at the base of the extension. If you can get to the hex on the cartridge you can take them both out together but you'll have to get the extension off eventually or replace it. It looks like the collar has to come out so you can get to the stem hex

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you see the "hex" more clearly on this picture (attached) ? any ideas on how to remove this ?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Back off the hex at the base of the stem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok attached picture, can you verify that I have the wrench attached to the correct thing (I.e. Hex). It isn't moving at all.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Looks like it's in the right place (the hex at the base of the stem). You won't see a hex like this on a faucet part unless it was made to be turned. Try more vinegar or PB Blaster (at Lowes and HD).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Instead of PB Blaster can I use WD 40 ? Is that the same thing ? Is there anyway of removing the whole faucet from the sink, I am thinking that if the whole thing came off it would be easier to remove.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

WD 40 is not designed for this type of condition. You can remove the entire faucet by disconnecting the water lines under the sink and backing off the lock nuts holding the faucet in place. I doubt it will make any difference except perhaps that you can immerse that side of the faucet in vinegar.