Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Kohler toilet (the number in the tank is K-4436-AA,

I have a Kohler toilet (the number in the tank is K-4436-AA, 1.28 GPF/4.31PF). I live in a remote area where I don't have access to a licensed plumber. I purchased a Fluidmaster Perfor MAX All-In-One toilet repair kit from the nearest Home Depot where I purchased the toilet. The lady who directed me to the kit didn't seem know much about it. A disclaimer on the kit says that some Kohler toilets require a triangular tank to bowl gasket. My question is two fold - will this kit work and do I have to remove the tank to replace the one that is leaking?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: We have an electronic water meter, and the town told me last week that I have either a leaking toilet or a leaking faucet. I found that it is one of the toilets that is leaking. It is a Kohler. I purchased them new from Home Depot about five years ago.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I just discovered the problem about two weeks ago. The closest shopping is 65 miles from here. I shut the the water supply off as it was running quite often. It would shut off after a flush, however it would over fill a continue running until I would flip the flush handle. I had to just shut it off completely.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to, since there is no plumber in the area.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have drained the tank, and I'm not sure how to disconnect flush valve gasket.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're doing this because you have high water bills then a tank to bowl repair kit won't fix this problem. You only use that kit if water is leaking on the floor. Does this tank have a cannister type flush valve?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Part #53154