Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a Insinkerator 555SS... Motor hums, but does not

Customer Question

I have a Insinkerator 555SS... Motor hums, but does not engage..is there
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: is there a clutch that is supposed to engage to spin the cutters? Problem just started...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: can't think of anything else...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There is no clutch. Either the grinding plate is seized or the entire unit needs to be replaced. You can try freeing the plate by inserting the offset allen wrench that came with the unit into the socket in the bottom middle. Turn the power off first then try turning the wrench in both directions to free it up.