Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a question about time to change out my house from

I have a question about time to change out my house from Poly-B to PEX. I have two quotes already and the cost and estimated duration is quite different
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just a few days. I am just trying to sense check the difference in the quotes before I decide. My concern is the quick/cheap quote is too good to be true
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, I have two quotes from 2 plumbers and I'm trying to decide who to go with, but the quotes are so different I'm just looking to sense check them.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: House is 2600 square feet with finished basement. There is a full bathroom and kitchen sink in basement, half bath on main floor, along with kitchen with two separate sinks, two full bathrooms upstairs
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: no sure what your asking

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Do you have written proposals from both? If so post them here and I'll look them over.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't have them handy, but both include labour and materials for all pipes and fittings, shut off valves and plates.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
One quote is 2 days and $4000 the other is 4-5 days and $6500.

If they both have no contingencies and they are contract proposals not estimates AND the quality/rep of the pliumbers are similar then go with the lower bid or get 1 more to get a better idea if 1 is too high or the other too low.

Since you make no mention of the size of the crew or man hours estimated either time frame is possible

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. I guess I was concerned the lower quote was just too good to be true.

You're welcome. It could be and you need to consider the variables I mentioned.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I got the empress on the 2 day estimate was for 1 guy on his own but the 4-5 day was a crew of 3, which made things more irregular

Ok no way 1 guy with no help can do this on his own in 2 days. He's low balling to get the job with plans to jack the price way up with a pile of excuses on why it ran over. I'd avoid this low bid. 4 or 5 days with a crew of 3 seems a bit to the opposite extreme but much more realistic.

Do you have more questions?