Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a flotec well water pump. It is only humming. The

Customer Question

I have a flotec well water pump. It is only humming. The motor is not turning.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

It may need a new start capacitor. If that doesn't work then it's time for a new pump.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is humming but that's it. How would I replace the start capacitor and how much does that cost?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It hums and gets real hot.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Start capaitors are pretty cheap but you'll need to get one at Graingers. They're pretty easy to fix. Just 2 wires to disconnect and reconnect. It's a small cannister usually right on top of the motor. If you don't have a Graingers nearby then you'll have to replace the pump. Given your description there's maybe a 50/50 chance a new capacitor will solve the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you have a picture of it?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

You haven't provided a model number for the pump. If you don't have a Graingers nearby then you'll have to replace the pump.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The model number is ***** Graingers is about an hour away from me. There is an ACE, Home Depot and VAMAC.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Don't know VAMAC if it's similar to Graingers then it's a possibility. The other places don't carry capacitors. I'm striking out finding any specs on that model number. Like I siad before the capacitor is a small cannister attached to the outside of the motor. If your's isn't visible then you can't replace it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how can I check the capacitor
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's ok, I found out
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Ok, do you have more questions?