Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My Carlin won't start up, Just noticed I have no hot water

Customer Question

My Carlin won't start up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just noticed I have no hot water so came down to look. Tried the reset button but nothing Halle s
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Less than a day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on the problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've turned the service switch off and on again and the ***** *****ght comes on for a few seconds then shuts off and nothing Happens
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What do you have for an aquastat/relay? do you have a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a taco six zone.
I don't have a multimeter
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

The Taco control is a zone control not the aquastat relay. You can't troubleshoot this without a meter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry. Didn't read your question right. It's a Honeywell. If it's an electrical issue would the ***** *****ght on the top of my burner still light up?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Possibly a control issue depending on what you have for a burner ignition control. If it's an R7184 or R7284 you could see the LED light up even if the aquastat/relay was malfunctioning. Can you give me a model for the aquastat relay? If not is it digital?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a L8148A.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I logged off for the night before you posted your last response. Let me know if you want to continue

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rick. Thanks for the response. I'm now home from work looking at this issue again. I picked up a multimeter. Where do I start?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

I'm logging off soon but we can start on this. First jump the thermostat terminals on the L8148. That would be T & T or T & TV top of the control. Once you do that check for 120 volts AC at the B1 & B2 terminals. If you have 120 v there then you probably have a bad burner ignition control but you first need to verify that you have 120 v to the burner motor. If you don't have 120 volts at B1 & B2 with T T or T TV jumped and the boiler is cold then the L8148 is no good.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

If you do have 120 v at B1 & B2 and you have 120 v to the burner motor but the burner doesn't run then you have a bad burner motor. I doubt you'll be able to do all this before I log off in a couple minutes so get back to me tomorrow if you need more help or tell me what you found.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have 120 on b1 and b2 when jumping t and t.
How do I check 120 to the burner motor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also get 120 at b1 and b2 without jumping t and t
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, you have to remove the ignition control from the junction box on the burner then locate the 2 wires going to the motor. Remove the wire nuts if it's an older control but leave the leads connected then test voltage there. If you have a newer control probe the terminals where the motor leads are connected.