Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I had a new hotwater tank inspected and was told to add an

Customer Question

I had a new hotwater tank inspected and was told to add an expansion tank.I did and when I turned the tank on I had low pressure. I called Rheem and they said that the expansion tank and water tank whould have between 10-15 difference in psi. How do I check the cold water pressure coming into the hot water tank and how to i charge up the expansion tank/
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I just paut the expansion tank on so only a little while
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have low pressure on only the hot water? Do you have city metered water or well water?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

Is the shut off you used a gate valve or ball valve? A ball valve would be a quarter turn valve and the gate valve would be the one that you have to turn many times before the water is off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both pressures are low.city water.gate
Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

I tried to accept the call offer but it failed for some reason.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 4 months ago.

When you turned the water off to make the connections did you use the main water shut off? Did you have to crank it down some to get the water to shut off? Did you connect the expansion tank to the cold water or the hot?