Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I am in a 2nd floor apartment. My kitchen sink was slow and

Customer Question

I am in a 2nd floor apartment. My kitchen sink was slow and now clogged with what seems to be water from upstairs. What is the best way to unclog my drain so that water from upstairs do not back up in to my sink.
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: which floor? my floor, upstaris floor, or downstairs floor?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Based on what I have read so far, I should try to use a plunger rather than liquids
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like the upstairs unit and your kitchen sink share a drain line. The only effective way to clear the stoppage would be to snake the drain line and by far the best tool for the job is a power sink drain snake. You can usually rent one at a tool rental oulet.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

You would snake the line from under your sink

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have more questions?