Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Paloma, PH-28ROFP (LP) tankless water heater. Working good…

Customer Question
Paloma, PH-28ROFP (LP) tankless...

Paloma, PH-28ROFP (LP) tankless water heater. Working good for years (yes it's older). Low flow hot water works. High flow (two faucets or tub) stops heating. Error code C8 12. The owner's manual says 12 is an LP supply problem. No indication what the C8 is. My other appliances (stove, oven, and furnace) running LP are fine. Any suggestions for troubleshooting and/or parts to shotgun out?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

N/a

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe, I'm handy, I'm a retired computer technician and I've maintained my own appliances and cars for years. But, I'm not in any mood to replace the whole thing or do major repairs. So, I guess the answer is depends.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2017
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, from the look of the wiring diagram it appears that the yellow and white wires, from terminals 1 and 2 on the molex gang connector on the gas valve run to a valve or pressure switch that must be closed in order for the valve to operate.

The manual is vague on that so far, follow the white and yellow wires and tell me where they go, and if the device they go to has a 1/4" black rubber tube attached.... if it does, then that is a pressure switch and as you call for second and third stage gas valve openings the flow results in a pressure drop that opens that valve or switch.

Look that over, see what you can find,

To go from here properly you need a manometer to measure that pressure in inches of water column, that can get involved, I will see if we can diagnose the problem without a manometer.

click here for a wiring diagram, I am posting it here for easy reference

Tell me please if your diagram shows a pressure switch at or ahead of the gas valve,

We can go from there

I can use the brand name and model number on the gas valve itself also

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will follow your wiring and questions. I will reply as soon as I have the info you requested. Thank you.

That will work I am in for another 3 hours tonight, then back all day tomorrow