WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

It's 7:30 Saturday a.m. The softener started it's cycle at

Customer Question

It's 7:30 Saturday a.m. The softener started it's cycle at 2:00 a.m. It is continuing. I'm pretty certain it's out of salt. How do I turn off the unit until Monday a.m.? I found an outlet with a heavy plug, and pulled the plug. It's still going!
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Totally ignorant of the unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would rather have my trusty Culligan technician do the work. I just want to stop the cycling until Monday.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I even went to the electrical panel to see whether the unit has its own circuit, but there was not one marked. I flipped a couple of circuits I deemed likely, and the unit continues cycling.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

It should stop after being unplugged unless the valve motor is not working. In which cas you'll need to use the manual bypass valves on top the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What and where is the manual bypass valve?
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

Should be right on top of the softener

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mr. Cohn suggested I turn off the manual valve. Past experience taught me to look for a lever. It took some time to figure out it is a knob. I closed the manual valve, and the continuous flow of water stopped. Thank goodness! Mr. Cohn's advice was good; it would have been much more helpful to me if it were by telephone. But I am unwilling to pay an additional amount of cash, in addition to the $5 I've already paid, for immediate, blow-by-blow conversation.
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

I'm glad it all worked out. I'd appreciate you using the five stars at the top of the page to leave me a rating