Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Moen shower/tub faucet that is about 7 years old

Customer Question

I have a Moen shower/tub faucet that is about 7 years old (Model 82403). The diverter has been has been stuck for years. Do you have an ideas of what I can do?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It's been about 5 years (the house is not frequently used, so we kept putting it off). The center handle will not turn at all (it's stuck on shower).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I could find a plumber who knew what to do, I'd have it done. I do do simple plumbing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's in La Quinta, CA if that helps
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This looks like a 3 handle tub/shower valve. If the diverter is stuck you'll have to replace the diverter cartridge. Here's a parts blow up to show you what's involved and the part you need
http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/82403pt.pdf

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is the correct parts blow up, but I couldn't get the cartridge out. I've also seen on the web that people have problems with these cartridges, are there any after market versions that are better?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

No, after market versions are inferior. You'll have better luck getting it out with a cartridge puller. I believe they have them at Home Depot & Lowes among others. Best to not try to get it out until you have the replacement in hand.