Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My shower arm is just spinning in the 90 coming out of the

Customer Question

my shower arm is just spinning in the 90 coming out of the wall. It can spin counter clock wise or clockwise but won't come off. I am trying to replace the shower arm so I can replace the head.The whole arm spins again the pipe coming from the wall and the pipe poking out of the wall stays in place. It will functions and I won't here water coming from behind the wall.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hereally are photos of the shower arm.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

hi did you send a call request ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I did. Just in case text or email wasn't sufficient.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

just a little easier by phone ........lets try here ..........first of all that arm is threaded so it will unscrew but you will need two kinds of wrenches .................one and adjustable the other slip joing or channel locks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried that. Using a c wrench and a pair of slip joint. I have used wd 40 and I can't for the life of me get it to move and I am not a weak person.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

heat it up with a torch and then try .........would that arm spin all the way around or will it hit the ceiling?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have used heat. I don't have a torch but have used a lighter. And yes it will spin all the way around in either direction
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

you need a torch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well that is something I don't have. Lol
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

maybe a neighbor or family member can loan you one?.............three minute job

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

you have to be careful of the shower surround

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can try to find one. Now, just wondering. If the torch won't free it what is the other step?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

you going to use that arm or trash it ?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

it looks like you have a quick-click fitting on that .........i would change that ...........put a Shark-Bite set up

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

can you get at that pipe from the other side ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Trash it. I don't believe so. It's against an exterior wall.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

I would cut off that knob end with a sawz-all then stick the slip joint pliers in the arm and this is important while holding it tight with the adjustable spin the slip joint pliers up to loosen it ..............but I would try the heat and get a pair of vise grips for the arm so you don't have to muscle two wrenches

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

are you there ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm still here. Sorry I was working on the arm again.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

do you have vise grips?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not. I have channel lock and slip joint and need nose pliers.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

a small monkey or pipe wrench would work too .................you're just using the wrong tools and it is making it difficult for you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll see if those things help.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-8-in-Pipe-Wrench-2370/205636842

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-6-in-and-10-in-Adjustable-Wrench-2-Pack-48-22-7400/207103151

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-in-Curved-Jaw-Locking-Pliers-012238/203314711

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the links.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie