How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21976
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Moen Single Knob shower faucet that has water

Customer Question

Hello! I have a Moen Single Knob shower faucet that has water shooting out around the cartridge, and I live in an apartment building, so I don't have access to the main water line to turn it off. The plumber has been called over two hours ago, and I need to find a way to cut down on the amount of water shooting out until they get here.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It's been going on since this morning in terms of the full-on streaming straight out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had initially, for I bought the replacement cartridge and have the parts needed. My biggest concern is the possible water damage that it could be causing to the property.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The building is over 50 years old, so there may be only way to shut the water off.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There should be shut offs under the sink. If you don't have any all you can do is put a rag over where it's leaking to knock the flow down.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Rick! Would the shut-off valve under the sink work for the shower/tub stall? I have the one for the sink & the toilet as well, but I thought that it was more so based on whichever one is closest to the plumbing in question.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

If you have more than 2 shut offs then they could go to the shower. Another possibility is integral shut offs where the water lines tie into the shower valve in the wall. You'll have to remove the handle first then the trim plate at the wall. Behind the plate if you see stem with slots where the water lines connect to the valve (the pipes into each side of the valve)those are shut offs and you can turn them with a screwdriver to shut it off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I see. If the shut-off(s) for the toilet or the sink are connected to the shower, would there be a change in the water pressure that would signify that?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I'm afraid not. The shut offs right below the fixtures are for just that fixture. Your best bet is to remove the trim plate at the wall behind the handle on the shower faucet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, that does sound like the better option. The screws for the trim plate appear to be rusted, and I have a little hacksaw that I was told could be used to remove them. Is that a safe and viable option given the circumstances or is there a better way to remove them?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

The screws should be brass. They shouldn't rust. I don't see how you can get to them with a hack saw. You could use a drill to drill the heads off but be careful to use a it that's smaller than the head. Nothing bigger than a 1/4" bit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ah, I see. It was a small-sized hacksaw, but I would like to go with the safest option due to the water coming out.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You shouldn't hit any water lines by drilling the heads off, If you can slip a hacksaw blade behind the plate parallel to the wall that would be OK.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It looks that I am able to. It's small enough to fit behind the screw head.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm having issues with getting access to the screws due to the water shooting out from the side of the cartridge.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Put a small towel over the handle. It will knock the water stream down

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You have to take the handle off anyway to get the plate off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh, no. I understand. The handle is off. but the water is shooting out around the cartridge.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You're only option here is to drill the screws off if they are rusty. A hacksaw won't work. Some moron used steel instead of brass screws if they are rusty. But given the likelihood you'll get the drill wet drilling them off isn't a good idea.