Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I have a bathroom that has an faint odor that has lingered.

Customer Question
When we close the door...
I have a bathroom that has an faint odor that has lingered. When we close the door, it becomes strong odor. It's coming from the shower drain. We have put a snake down it and it's not clogged but when we look into the drain, about 4" down the water is standing. It doesn't move even after we run the snake. When we pour more water in the drain, that level doesn't raise or go down. It's constant. Why is that water there and how can we alleviate the problem of the smell?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
11/1/2016
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The water you see is the water in the trap and it's normal what you describe. It sounds like you may have a broken plumbing vent pipe that's probably concealed in a wall. A plumber can do a smoke test to locate the break.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am the plumber. How do we do that test?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be that the hole that leads to the vent pipe could be clogged and we could find that hole and clear it? If there is a hole, where would it be?

I'm sorry but I doubt you're a real plumber since you didn't know how fixture traps function. There is no "vent hole". It's a vent pipe I'm referring to. You need to know how plumbing systems work and are likely to be piped to find this. For that you need a real plumber.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dude, I didn't say I was a "real " plumber. I'm a real woman and I drew my electrical plan on my 6,000 sf house and fired the super who ran my job at drywall and ran the job 20 years ago. I remodel houses and do all of my own work with strong helpers.But That's not the point so PLEASE let's not get into whether or not I know the correct verbiage. That's what you're for and that's the point of this website. For the pro's to help the not so pros take care of their house.So are you going to answer my question or do I go to another expert who wants to help me and answer my questions?
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 1 year ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Mike! Thanks for your help and hopefully your courtesy too!! Lol! That other guy was an arrogant ass and I'm going to report him to the website.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you see our message thread?

I am exactly not that! If you don't love me than it's not me, it's you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ha ha ha!! I luv ya baby!! Can you see our previous message thread and my question?

I haven't quite gotten through reading it yet, but a quick question. If you look under the sink cabinet in that bathroom, is there studor vents on the piping? I still have some reading to do here. Should I read the other question too?

Oh boy. I don't know if I can help you if you're not a "real" plumber...... so let's forget about the idea of a broken vent pipe unless you have had a recent earthquake or just moved your house. A studor vent looks something like this click here

I see I started answering another one of your questions too, about the kitchen drain. I am going to see what else you got going on too. I know some stuff!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh I can TELL you're going to be on my favorites list here at just answer!! Thanks Mikey!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll keep checking my phone while I'm at the hardware store in case you think I need something else.

I surely am awesome and modest too! How about accepting my phone call offer on the other question and we will discuss the kitchen stuff and this smelly stuff.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have two free calls they keep trying to give me. Now that I want to do it, those offers have gone Mysto. Lol

Maybe you have to make the offer to me? The calls were only available between 1:27am-1:27:31 Standard Metric Time

So....how's the shopping trip going?

Sorry we did not get a chance to chat further today. I will be off working somewhere tomorrow so, I am not ignoring you when I do not reply right away. I will be online for hours in the evening. I am in the eastern time zone. Will you let me know about the studor vent? Also, will you do an experiment? Air out the bathroom and remove the smell, then run the shower for about 30 seconds then leave the room and close the door. Do not use anything else during the experiment. Return in an hour or so and check to see if the smell is there. If it is not then flush the toilet twice then leave the room again and close the door. Return in an hour and see if the smell has returned. The results of the experiment and whether you have a studor vent will tell us allot.

I was looking through your previous questions and there was one about faucets you were going to replace too. Did you replace those? If not, maybe that can be our next question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are amazing!! I gave up on those. I start and when I cannot find a good person to give me advise, I go onto the next project! I just got home from working on the other project and I'm now in a nice hot bath with a nice glass of red wine and I'm smoking a bowl! I am so tired I can barely walk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot see very well as my glasses are outside the tub. Lol! Thanks again for caring. Good karma takes you a long way. I'm sure you figured that out by now.

That is a nice image....did you see the part about the experiment? Surely after burning one an experiment will be fun!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ha ha ha! Yes, love to do experiments while my attitude is adjusted. Lol! I actually wrote you a note after your previous one and it didn't send to you! So I'll paraphrase and resend what I can remember.Thanks so much for being so kind and reviewing my previous messages and problems. The good karma you're receiving from doing that is measureable. When you do nice things for other people, good things from all over start happening to you. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.I didn't get a good person to help me and when I have these opportunities to repair things, I have to do it quickly because I rent my properties for my income. Now the hills house is rented so I cannot go back there to work and do the experiment until nov 19! The other drippy faucets haven't been fixed in the other house and that's rented until nov 14 so I kinda have time off to do other things that i have fallen behind on. I cannot wait to test that though. The bathroom smell isn't horrible that's why I've never bothered with it but own it's time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess what I'm saying is I will contact you when I am able to get back to these problems. I went to the store and bought the Plumber's putty and fixed the leak under the sink. Thanks! I hope the ice maker is now working too. There is no water filter on the ice maker. Should I add that under the sink near the SHIT off balvebthat I installed or should I add behind fridge? There's room under the sink to add there. Figured maintenence of it in the future may be easier under the sink.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Huh? I'm assuming the above message is referring to Rick and you didn't refer me to a new plumber. I tried to rate you on your help for this question but the website wouldn't let me do it. So you get paid, I'll open a new question but we both know I will be back to discuss it with you in a few weeks. Until then, take care and we will be in touch a lot. I have a LOT of plumbing issues I need to fix.

That sounds good. Thank you for sending me good karma. It is true. When bad things happen to me they are always the best possible outcome of a terrible thing if that makes sense. Last month I wounded my thumb quite badly. 30 stitches to get it back together but no arteries and I actually scratched the tendon but did not cut it. If either of those things happened I would have gotten surgeries to get it fixed but only required many stitches and a few weeks of discomfort. I have also been in quite a few terrible car accidents that no one was seriously hurt. Maybe when other people get good karma they get money and stuff. I just survive stuff and that is more than enough for me. I am guessing you have a subscription? If so, do you want to rate this question and then request me again in a few weeks when you get over to do the experiment? As far as the filter, there should already be a filter on the fridge. It also depends on the water quality in general. If you have well water or city water etc. You can get a water test kit at Lowes or Home Depot for about $30 that tells you what needs to be filtered out of the water. That is really what determines what type of filter is needed. It is really a good idea to test your water twice a year. Water quality can change quickly and not really be noticed.

I am not sure what message you got. I totally would feel like I was being cheated on if you started dealing with another plumbing expert! Except for Wade. He is cool.

You read my mind. I was typing all of that time while I guess you were too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I DID read your mind!! Lol! I sent an image of the message I got online. Also the notifications from you read they are from Rick, the nasty plumber.So it is karma that we are talking. It's real. I've made it through impossible times. Grandma said "think and it will be". It's so true. Think positive, positive things come your way. Where do you live?Dude, you totally need to go to this website and listen to dr Marshall. I've studied natural medicine 25 years and PLEASE don't take this wrong, but if you've been in car accidents and had injuries, surgeries or tattoos, they create bad energy fields that MUST be removed. It's hard to explain typing but can you trust me and listen to him? He cures my friends cancer 30 years ago and he's the real deal. His stuff totally works and trust me, I'm not a person to "be sold"! If you help me with my plumbing, I'll help you with your health.http://qnlabs.com/radio-show.htmlI'll open up new questions for these other issues and thanks again for all your help smoothing over the jerk plumber situation. I did call and file a complaint against Rick and I asked for a follow up about what they did. It's SO WRONG that they didn't let me review him and write about what he did and said. Rick the Dick plumber. Lol!Have a great night!!

Well, I am glad you are a mind reader since I cannot really comment about one of those things. I am telepathetic so I will send the message in a mind message. Since you have now received my message you can see we agree on that subject. As far as the injuries, I was quite a wild young man (30 years ago) and put myself in situations that people with poor karma would not survive. I am also a person who sees nothing but silver linings. I could be homeless and living in a tent (ok I did live in a tent 20 something years ago) and would admire my tent and be so happy how nice of a tent I had and how lucky I am. Also those tatoos all have a story and I am glad to get to look at them and recall how they marked a moment in time. My worst one is a tramp stamp that looks like a mustache. I am so thankful that I did not get the eyeball on my neck like the chick that was with me! I am a Canad***** *****ving in North Carolina. I will check out the video later but surely no one can make life any better for me!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's awesome. Well, I'm not saying the tattoos need to be removed. They just need to be mudpacked. Toxins are accumulating under those and the past injuries so it's a health issue that I'm talking about. : ) wouldn't want you to suffer when there is such an EASY fix.

Ruh oh.....I don't wanna be toxinized.....

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber