Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Drove my first well with Auger. Added 6" casing. stopped

Customer Question

Drove my first well with Auger. Added 6" casing. stopped digging with about 3 " water level. Sunk sand point reduced down pipe to 1/2 . by doing this I cant pound on the sandpoint to go deeper because of PVC.
Question: does the sandpoint need to be completely in water so to create vauccum and suction 12 feet? If so, I was thinking of switching out to 1/2 galvanized and pound to be submerged.
Is it Ok that I just cover the sand point with water ? I dont think I can go much deeper because I might go thru the vein? Thanks for your help Dennis
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes the sand point needs to be completely submerged or you will probably draw air into the line.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just tookit out of ground. replacing with Galvanized so to pound the final 60cm. This will cover point with water 6" over top is that enough?
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Probably not unless the aquifer you're drawing from is very large or you don't use much water at any given point in time. The porous part of the point should always be under water or you risk drawing in air. Using a significant amount of water (more than a shower or load of clothes) like with irrigation will lower the level of the water source unless it is very large. There's really no way you can know that for sure so the more water over the top of the point the better.

Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Do you have more questions?