Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

We have an upstairs sink backing up and was wondering if we

Customer Question

We have an upstairs sink backing up and was wondering if we should try snaking the drain.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Just today but has done it before--maybe once or twice a year. A plumber a couple years ago said to pour bleach in and then drain well with hot water. Has worked several times but doesn't seem to this time.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Is it risky to attempt on our own?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The plumber before said it was build up from the A/C dripping into a shared pipe or something.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Interesting solution you were given. Is the sink a double sink or single sink? If double then is there only an issue in one sink and the other is fine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Single sink.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just not sure what we should attempt on our own before a plumber visit is necessary.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Well, it does depend on your skill level. You could remove the trap under the sink and clear it out there. It is almost certainly in the trap. You would place a large bowl under the trap and remove the union nuts on it. The water in the trap would leak out into the bowl then once you remove the trap then dump it out and see if the blockage is there. If not then you can get a small sink snake to snake out the drain while the trap is removed. I am not so sure about the bleach remedy. I am still typing......

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

I will suggest a much more effective remedy to pour down the sink. Try Ridex. It is a septic treatment for septic fields and what it does is introduce more microbes that break down organic material. This will be much more effective than the bleach. Try pouring some treatment down the sink every couple of months and that will prevent any more issues with the sink being slow. It will solve your issue now too, but it may take a little while for the treatment to become effective. You will have an immediate result by removing the trap but of course the Ridex will be the easiest, no mess result. click here

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Of course, if you like we could also discuss over the phone for any further clarification. If you have any questions at all I am happy to continue in the chat too. Whichever you prefer.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 9 months ago.

I see you still have not positively rated my service. Although the only way that I get paid is when my service is positively rated, it also tells me that you have not received the information that you were seeking to find a solution to your issue. Will you let me know what affect the information I provided had on the issue at hand and how else I may be able to help?