Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

No hot water being dispensed just changed the shut off valve

Customer Question
but nothing is happening when...
No hot water being dispensed just changed the shut off valve but nothing is happening when I turn it on
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 3 months, I have to get hot water from the bathtub to do dishes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Are you automated?
JA: No. I'm the Plumber's Assistant.
Customer: Yes I plan doing it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/15/2016
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 1 year ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there no water or is it a trickle? If you disconnect the supply line from the shut off do you get water from the shut off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No water and yes I do

Is the kitchen faucet new? If you remove the cartridge in the faucet does the water get through to there? Cold works fine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just moved into this house 3 months ago to my knowledge it worked before moving in but now nothing fixing to try to take faucet off

Don't do that yet.

Do you get cold water? Have you removed the cartridge to see if the hot water gets to there?

Not much point in removing the faucet. Surely it is a simple thing. Probably will be quickly assessed if you accept the phone call offer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cold works fine, I know I get hot water through the valve because it sprayed water from the hose when I turned the water back on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i don't have extra money to spend for the call

Fair enough. Stick with me then. Don't do anything until I can ask a few more questions and we can work it out. So the issue is the exact same before and after replacing the shut off valve? Does the faucet have braided supply lines?

So, those braided hoses have the nut that tightens to the shut off and it pulls the flange towards the shut off to seal against the shut off port. The nut is supposed to turn and the flange is not....but it often does. Then the hose gets twisted, sometimes up high near where it goes into the valve. Have a look with a flashlight and look to see if it is twisted. If it is then turn the water off, disconnect the supply then reconnect it but hold the shank of the flange with some channel locks while tightening the nut so the line does not twist.

I do not type very fast but as soon as you respond I start typing my response. Sometimes if I have a lot of information it might take a few minutes for me to type but be confident I am typing the response right away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I've unhooked the braided line from the other line coming from the head of the faucet. I'm still getting water from the valve. So from the braided line from the faucet isn't working

Now reconnect it but hold the shank of the line above the nut while tightening the nut so the line does not twist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still nothing I've unhooked again and the screen on the braided hose to the faucet looks obscured

Did you hold the shank when tightening? Have you looked at the hose up high with a flashlight to see if it is twisted or kinked? What brand faucet is this?

Will you tell me what has happened so far so that I can recommend what would be next if the issue is not resolved?

Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber