Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Water goes cold during shower then warms up again. For the

Customer Question
water goes cold during shower...
water goes cold during shower then warms up again.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: For the last year. I had a guy come out and flush the system which seemed to help for a month or so. Then it starts acting up again. It's only severe when your standing under the freezing cold water. :)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have had this checked three different times to no avail. I am looking for an expert who deals with Renai tankless systems.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. Do you know who I should contact to help me fix this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
9/19/2016
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 1 year ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I am a Rinnai factory trained and certified installation and repair tech.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what the problem may be or who I should contact to come out to check it?

Are you new to tankless water heaters? Are you getting any error codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't see any error codes and last guy says it's firing up correctly

Do you know and understand what a cold water sandwich is?

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. This was not the site I thought it was. Thanx any ways.

We are here to give advice. I have your answer, but I needed to know what it is that you know and what your expectations are.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All set. Bye.

Ok. You heater is doing its job. Just as it's supposed to. How it works has not been properly explained to you. This is common. Best of luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are too kind. Thank you.

I am more than willing to explain it all to you, however your previous comment leads me to believe you are not wanting that. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All set.

Okay

All modern tankless water heaters have to prove it is safe to fire. Depending on brand this process takes about 8 seconds. During this 8 seconds cold water is running through the system. It checks fan speed, makes sure the exhaust can get out, waits for proof of flame, etc. This happens every time it has to start. So if you run hot water at a sink and wait for it to get hot, and then you shut it off and jump into the shower. You will feel the hot water already in the line and then the 8 seconds of cold water sandwiched between the hot water from you turning on the shower. If the heater itself was failing then it would give an error code. Usually a flame loss code or a blockage of venting. You are not getting any of that, so it leads me to believe its just a cold water sandwich

Did I explain that well enough? Feel free to ask for clarification.

I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. Your positive rating is the only way I get credit for helping you. Thank you for using JustAnswer!!

You can continue to ask questions after a positive rating.

You you'd like under another question I can explain how to get rid of the cold water sandwich

Are you satisfied with my service? I need to know in order to close the question

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber