Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I was just trying to search for why my sprinkler head pops

Customer Question
up but no water comes...
I was just trying to search for why my sprinkler head pops up but no water comes out. I just bought a house and see that this particular head doesn't work. I replaced the head tonight with an exact part- it's the 570 series 360 degree rotation 15'. Any ideas? There is water present in the line when I removed it.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Don't know. Just moved in. As far as I can tell it has never worked. Grass is dead all around this particular sprinkler head's perimeter
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope- it's all in the first message.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
9/14/2016
Plumber: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 1 year ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** ***** can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ..... I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

1-) The make and model and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner? NO

3-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working? DETERMINING has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics? electrical or any excavating?

4-) what exactly happens on what goes wrong with it?

5-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Eddie:I just moved in. House is 20 years old. I don't have the history on the sprinkler system. The only manual I have is for programming the Rainbird watering system. There is one head that doesn't work- it pops up but no water comes out. So I replaced the sprinkler head with like for like Toro 570 Series 15 foot 360 degree rotation, but still the same issue. There is definitely water in the pipe and sprinkler head based on visual confirmation. This head has not worked since we moved in 1 month ago and I don't know if it worked for the previous owners.No electrical/excavating work recently. I am comfortable making adjustments or other troubleshooting. All other sprinkler heads are working.

It could be anyone of these scenerios:

1-) dirt and sand can be caught up in it and it would have to be flushed and cleaned......is it the last one on the zone?

.........refer back to me for the process on how to do it

2-) there could be a real stoppage in the pipe

3-) It could be that this one head is on a different zone and it isn't programmed in.......does it pop up when the others are on?

get back to me when you can and we can resolve this for you

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it really be clogged (dirt/sand) since it's a brand new sprinkler head?I don't know if it's the last one in the zone. If it is, what would I need to check?I will need to confirm that it doesn't come up on multiple zones when I get home tonight and will let you know.How would I know if there is pipe stoppage and is this likely (especially since I see water when removing the head)?

Could it really be clogged (dirt/sand) since it's a brand new sprinkler head? YES
I don't know if it's the last one in the zone. If it is, what would I need to check? IT USUALLY IS
I will need to confirm that it doesn't come up on multiple zones when I get home tonight and will let you know.
How would I know if there is pipe stoppage and is this likely (especially since I see water when removing the head)? WE'LL HAVE TO FLUSH IT OUT TO SEE

if you have one or if you could pick up a 1/2 inch riser ...........do you remember when you replaced the head was it a 1/2 inch inlet? ..........it would help matters along in the repair and future repairs.....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-6-in-PVC-Riser-38086/100178707?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100178707-_-N

you will take the new head off and put this 6 inch nipple to stay above the mud then we will flush it out and see

it might be best to do this by phone..........Just Answer requires an additional charge .......would you be okay with that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me check if it pops up when other zones are on and get back with you.I can get the 6" riser and flush if you could send instructions how to do it.

if you could answer those other questions I had

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the other zones and it is not popping up when they are on. It only comes up on Zone 6, albeit with no water.It is 1/2" inlet.Two pending questions: 1) How do you confirm it's the last sprinkler head in the zone? 2) Is it possible to provide the flushing instructions (if we need to go there) to confirm if there is pipe stoppage?What other answers are you needing from me?

there are variables and too much to explain

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's OK. I'll work a different angle. Thanks for your help.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor