Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

We live in a two story house with two bathrooms upstairs and

Customer Question
one downstairs. The downstairs toilet...
We live in a two story house with two bathrooms upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs toilet has had a strange smell coming from it for a couple of months and it seems to be getting worse despite all our efforts to keep it clean. The seal around the bottom is good. Apart from getting a plumber in is there anything we can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
8/30/2016
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 1 year ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Are you 100% sure it's the toilet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I'm 90% sure the smell is coming up through the toilet but not 100% sure the issue is the toilet or something else. I ask my next door neighbor and she hasn't noticed anything different in her toilet. I think I read somewhere online about a possible "P Tube" issue in the toilet.

There is a built in p-trap, but if there is water in the toilet then it's not the p-trap. The only other source where a toilet can smell is the wax ring. Now you say it's sealed well. Are you meaning the caulking around the toilet? The wax ring is not visible without removal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I believe the wax ring and for sure the caulking was replaced about a year ago. One of our next door neighbors said their OUTSIDE drain smells badly by the way.

Okay you can do a smoke test and find ANY source of sewer smell

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thanks. How do we do a smoke test?

I can describe it best over the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thank you. Would tomorrow work and how much would the phone call cost?

Also, as I have no plumbing experience or equipment would it be best to spend money with a local plumber in case I pay you for a phone call but am not equipped to fix or assess the issue?

You can call me now if you like. Its $12 for the phone call. You need a shop vac and a coffee can.

Also a quick trip to a feed store and duct tape

Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber