Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I just replaced my kitchen sink sprayer head - the sprayer

Customer Question
Hi, I just replaced my...
Hi, I just replaced my kitchen sink sprayer head - the sprayer is fine but when I turn on either tap (hot, cold) the water comes out like a machine gun firing, intermittent, and also there is some leak frm sprayer line
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: just now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I think it is small, I will try to do it, else hire someone
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know what else to tell you, maybe you could ask me Qs ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
8/26/2016
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 1 year ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

Hello my name I Wade and I look forward to helping you!

Did you turn off the water under the sink to do the repai? Are they back on all they way?

Turn of either the hot or the cold underneath the sink so we can determine if it is the hot or cold causing it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok let me do that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi - keeping the main line connection to each line open, I open and shut both one by one separately and there was still noise and leak. then like you suggested I have switched off the cold water line and only the hot water main line is open. now when I turn on the hot water there is still noise from the fauet and leak frm sprayer

Now reverse it with only the cold on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did it, its the same

Okay. It's in the faucet. Something you done wrong. I would take it apart and see if everything seems normal

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I remove the sprayer head which I just installed, there is no noise and the water comes through the sprayer line smooth without going to the faucet. I only changed the sprayer head did not touch anything else

If that's all you have replaced and it didn't do it before, then that leads me to believe it's a faulty spray head.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what could be faulty in the spray head? this is the second spray head, just got it brand new an hour back from Home Depot

And the other one was the same way?

Sorry for the delay. There's a built in check valve that prevents cross contamination is you were to drop the sprayer in something. That check valve could be bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I am sorry I do not undersrand the last statement, where is the check valve?

In the faucet. Within the spout.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it was ok just till yesterday when we had the old sprayer head, wondering how it would have gone bad all of a sudden?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?

What brand is the faucet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi-I do not know brand of faucet. I do know the sparayer head I just bought from Home Depot is Universal

That may be the issue. If you can upload a picture of the faucet I may be able to identify it and get factory parts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am still unsure of the connection between spray head and faucet but if you give me a email id, can send you pics from my phone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sent you the pictures
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi-I have a question about the sprayer head installation which seems to be the point where things started to change

Okay it looks like either a moen or a price pfister.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, in the sprayer head installation, where does the C clip fit in? there are multiple grooves.

The way they work is there is a diverter in the faucet. When you push for spray it moves the diverter over. If it gets stuck it'll bounce back and forth.

Usually the one furthest from the end

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
farthest from the end of the hose I assume?

Yes. Of its leaking bad then it won't have enough pressure to move the diverter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now when I removed the sprayer head and put it back, there is no wter coming from the faucet, just water from the sprayer head and it is leaking; I keep thinking that it has something to do with the sprayer head isntallation

If it's leaking and you installed it right then the new sprayer isn't as "universal" as they claim. Look at the front of the base and see if there is a brand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree about the universal part. I seem to have installed it correctly, it is universal by danco

You need to find the brand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
universal kitchen sink spray that's it
no other branc

The brand of faucet??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
don't know faucet brand since we just moved into the house and it was pree xisting

Nothing at the base saying a brand?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

I'm inviting another expert in. His name is***** be patient in giving him time to respond.

Once he responds I'll opt out.

Can you remove the handle? I may be able to identify the brand once I see under the handle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok-I could try, how would that help though?

If we can get brand then we can get factory part not universal junk.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to install right away if possible, since my time off frm work ends in a few days

If we can not get you the right parts we can not fix it.

Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber