Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I have a rinnai tankless water heater. This morning it was

Customer Question

I have a rinnai tankless water heater. This morning it was beeping with code 79 displayed. I had a plumber come out and it stopped for about 10 hours. It just started doing the same thing again. He found a little water in it today but no signs of leaks. Is there a way to bypass the error code? The only way water coukd get in from what i see is a sprinkler that sprays for 15 minutes or condensation. What is a good next step?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Have you checked to see if there is water inside the cabinet again? Is the condensation drain clear? Is the sprinkler still spraying on it?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I didn't see any water inside the cabinet but I'm not sure what/where to check. I moved the sprinkler. It ran for 15 minutes.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

inspect inside of cabinet for signs of water pooling on bottom pan of water heater. Wipe or blow out any water found in cabinet. Dry off leak sensor and restart unit. The leak sensor is in the bottom pan but you will have to remove the cover to inspect it. Hopefully the issue is that the water from the sprinkler got on the sensor. It could also be a faulty sensor. If no water is found and there surely are not any leaks then unplug the sensor. Be sure to replace the sensor as it is an important component. If there is water and the water keeps returning then that would be a sign of a much more serious issue like an internal leak or cracked heat exchanger.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 11 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?