Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Just in stalled a moen shower valve and nothing coming out

Customer Question

Just in stalled a moen shower valve and nothing coming out but have water to the valve
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Did you remove the head to see if you have water out of the shower arm? If you did and still nothing then I need the model number of the valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a bran new install, putting the tub spot on and handle turned it on and nothing, so I disconnect the lines coming in and I have water but nothing comes out
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I need the model number of the valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moentrol 3510
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, give me a few to look up the specs for this model

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Looks like this model have integral shut offs. Are they open ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where could I find those
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

On the valve right next to where the water lines connect.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There's a hex there or do you have stems with a screwdriver slot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opened them and water just sprayed out but still no water
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hex or slot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 2 one is a flat head and the other 2 are like 1/2 " bolt heads
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 not 2
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's try this. Turn the water off. Then remove the cap on the pressure balance spool port (should be right side with a big screwdriver slot). Once you have it off pull the spool out. The spool is 2 cylinders 1 inside the other. The inside one should move freely. If it does then put it back and next back one of those large hexs off. Take it right out. Is it just a cap or is does it have a check valve behind it. If nothing is there then put it back and next pull the cartridge out of the valve and turn the water back on. This should flush out the valve. The water will go everywhere so have somebody at the shower to keep the water in the tub.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the screw driver slot one everything seems to be good and free and the hex heads have springs and these little rubber plungers in there
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, are the checks (spring & plungers) clean? no debris or sediment? Something just occurred to me, how are you turning on the water at the valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is clean and I just slid the plastic thing you put the handle on and tried to to it on
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

So you pulled the cartridge stem out to turn it on? If so then the next step is to pull the cartridge and turn the water back on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The center cartridge where the handle goes or the slotted one
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You pull out center cartridge by removing the horseshoe retainer clip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok water came out
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

So you got a strong stream of water out of the body of the valve when you pulled the cartridge. If that's the case then you probably have a bad cartridge. The only other possibility is that there's a problem with the piping. I can't think of what that could be since I didn't install the valve. Maybe the valve is upside down (is the pressure balance piston on the right?). If you're confident your piping is OK then I'd call Moen(###) ###-####, tell them what you did and ask how they want to proceed since this would be a warranty issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on the right and the up marking on the valve is up
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then I'd call Moen. I can't think of anything you might do that would block the flow via the piping. It's a stretch but it's also possible the valve body is defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome!

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'd appreciate favorable rating