How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask duane Your Own Question
duane, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 32
Experience:  Leed service tech at Beaverton plumbing
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
duane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a shower that has the diverter valve handle between

Customer Question

We have a shower that has the diverter valve handle between the hot and cold handles. Recently, the diverter valve seemed to be malfunctioning as water comes out of both the tub spigot and the shower head simultaneously when the water is turned on, regardless of the diverter valve handle position. I decided to order a shower valve socket set to remove the valve and get it replaced. Upon removing the cover plate and handle, I found that I don't have the typical diverter valve I've seen online. My shower valve socket set only goes down to 21/32" and even this size was slightly too large to fit over the nut inside of the threaded pipe. Usually I saw a larger nut on the outside of the threaded pipe, within the wall, but mine had a smaller nut on the INSIDE of the threaded pipe. How do I remove this valve and what should I replace it with? I'll attach pictures.Thanks,Aaron
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Hello Aaron my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. I would replace the entire valve and put on a single handle moen posi temp valve. What is in the back side of the wall the valve is on??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bedroom wall/drywall is on the backside. A posi temp valve is used to divert water between the tub vs. the shower? Also, any idea what kind of valve that is? Can I just try to get to that inner nut to back it out? If not, what about that threaded pipe, can I use a pipe wrench to try and just turn that entire pipe out? Id rather not dig into the wall to make repairs. Was hoping it was the type that unscrews with a shower socket.
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

No, I'm talking about replacing the entire valve body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, but is there anything I can try that doesn't involve opening up my walls? I've seen many instructionals of fixing these valves and none went that far.
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Yes, however repairing a little bit of drywall in order to have a modern valve in there that'll last you 40 years would be the best long term repair. Otherwise you just have to figure out how you can remove the diverter stem and hope you can find a replacement. In the picture you sent had you already removed a nut?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll definitely consider that option. Are you able to explain to me the type of valve I have and how to possibly take it apart through the hole I'm currently working with?
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

No. Would you prefer I opt out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. You're the second plumber that's unable to determine what type of valve it is or how to dismantle it. Must be a collectible. Yes, I'm going to try and take it apart. Would rather start there. I was aware of the option to open up the wall I'd just rather resort to that last. Thanks.
Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

Hello thank you for using just answer i am Duane, i will be helping you today. when i am finished if you need futher assistance, just respond back and i will respond to you

yes some of the old valves are very hard to i dentify what make and model they are.. if you take and turn off water cold &hot then you can take out diverter vakve with out turn off home suppl .. but this model i think maybe an old gerber /or crane if you take wall socket /or cow bell socket and the smaller iner nut is what you need to loosen .. then take to good supply house to locate you maybe able to look at good hard ware store?? some ace hardware stores are well stocked with old style shower valve parts ?but either way just have to remove and locate new diverter .. then replace but other than that it is next to impossible to identify with just a picture many brands &models that style 3 handle was very popular long time ago..

thank you for using just answer ..please leave a great rating for that is only way to get paid for my time thank you Duane