How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21386
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to remove a Moen kitchen faucet that is 20 years

Customer Question

I'm trying to remove a Moen kitchen faucet that is 20 years old. The main problem is the 2 inch hex flange holding it tight to the countertop. Do I need a special tool? Anything I've tried with pliers is not budging it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Are you talking about a large hex lock nut under the sink? A picture might help. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to remove without a special tool?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Assuming it isn't seized up you'll probably need a basin wrench (see attached pic) to get it off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just came from the hardware store where he showed me this tool. Its jaws were not wide enough to grab that size nut.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You don't have you grab the entire nut only part of the hex. There is no other tool available and I've never had a nut I couldn't get off with my basin wrench even the big one on old Moen faucets. But it's possible that your hardware store only has a cheap basin wrench which doesn't have a big enough jaw. If you can give me a picture I might be able you offer a work around or you can spend $35 for a good Ridgid basin wrench at Home Depot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks. I'll go out and get one.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

How did it go?