Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Replaced a pressure switch and need to know how to set it :

Customer Question

Replaced a pressure switch and need to know how to set it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: tank pressure is set to 40 PSI
JA: Is there anything else the Plumber should be aware of?
Customer: the cycle is between 22-35 #s every 6 secs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the pump is short cycling then the likely culprit is the holding tank not the pressure switch. When the diaphragm in the tank fails (assuming you don't have an old galvanized tank) there is no pressure cushion so the pump short cycles. This can also happen when the pressure in the diaphragm is set too low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a new tank. How do I know what to set it at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is 40psi too low for our tank
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

With no pressure on the water piping (gauge at 0) you set the tank pressure at 2 psi below the cut in pressure of the switch. So if your new switch is a 40/60 switch you set it to 38, a 20/40 switch would be 18, etc.