Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My drain is two inches and connects to 1.5 inch JA:

Customer Question
my drain is two inches...
my drain is two inches and connects to 1.5 inch
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: my washer drains to a 2 inch line and then connects to a 1.5 inch line and it backs and overflows every time.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: problem is the 1.5 inch pipe is in the concrete.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
5/21/2016
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 1 year ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
were you able to read my problem?
Accordingly to the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) laundry lines shall be at least 2" in diameter for there whole run.
I could read it.
There are some things you can do to help keep it from over flowing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are those? I have a utility tub i drain into first and then that drains to the 2 inch
That's the most common. Use the laundry tub as a Giant Funnel to hold the water and the it slowly drains. Are you I satisfied with how that is working?
Are you not*
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it still overflows
Over flows the sink?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The drain from from where the utility drain meets the 2 inch pipe drain.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are my other options besides going into the concrete? are there any washers that hardly use water that wont have to drain that much water?

If the sink is hard piped into the drainage system, then there isn't much else you can do. The problem with the low water usage washers out there, they have faster pumps which cause the same issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the sink isn't hard piped.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's just one of those loose pvcs that i used to drain into that 2 inch

I can describe what to do much easier and faster over the phone if you like. There is an additional charge for that though.

We usually hang the washer hose into a large laundry tub. From there we put a trap on the laundry tub and hard pipe it into the drainage system

Does this make sense to you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That would just make the tub over flow.

The tub that I posted can hold more water than the washer, however if it's clogged then it will not keep up with the next cycle. Your only other option is to replace it all the way to the main in 2"

One other option is to have tub drain into a pump and then if it's feasible have it pump to the larger mainline. Since I'm not there I cannot say if that's feasible. Most pumps will allow you to use just a 1" PVC line for liquid waste.

Do you have a crawl space at all or is it all concrete slab?

The tub I posted holds 22 gallons that's a lot.

If you have more questions please let me know, I'm here to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's concrete. I have a stack that I think I could connect that I could run along two other walls. I would have to run about 14 feet. Would that work?

With the proper pump absolutely. Give me a few and I'll post a link.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Couldn't I just run it with a 1/4 inch pitch every foot? Wouldn't physics take it to the stack?

Yes, that is correct!! It's a matter of pumping it up then letting gravity do its thing. Here's what I'd use. Run 1-1/2" PVC. And this pump.

This is WAY cheaper than a pump that uses 1". The head pressure is key. I love these Liberty pumps.

Fits right under the laundry tub.

If you are satisfied with my answer to your original question Please leave me a positive rating and tips are always greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure I gave more than enough information to warrant a positive rating

So how'd it work out for you?

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber