Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I just installed a brand new pfister no-touch faucet. Turned

Customer Question

I just installed a brand new pfister no-touch faucet. Turned it on, and I can't turn it off either with the sensor OR the handle
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I explained everything I can, I think. The supply lines are connected correctly and the sensor is connected properly, but when I turned on the supply lines the faucet came on and will not stop unless I turn off the supply. I thought maybe it was the soap dispenser, because I have a butterfly layout, and it is in front of the sensor, but I took it off an I still can't stop the water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Does the faucet run full on or trickle when off? Is there no difference when operating the handle to on or off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs full force. It seems to slack almost imperceptibly when I move the handle to "off."
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
You will have to remove the cartridge. Remove the handle and remove the cartridge and there is a rubber seat in the cartridge that is not seated in the groove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that. I've messed with these cartridges before (not Pfister), so I think I'll know what I'm doing. Would you recommend I find a diagram online first? And can I try this before I pay the $24?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I seem to be having trouble with accessing the chat. There is no time limit so surely no rush for paying at all. There should be a diagram in the manual but surely you can figure it out. It should have a set screw to hold the handle. The base of the cartridge has a thin rubber seat. It fits into a groove and if it is not seated that would surely cause the issue. If it is stretched you may need a new rubber seat and Pfister would send a free one but they are only a couple of bucks at Lowes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Here's hoping I have the right size wrench.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Be sure to not use metric allen wrenches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
All fixed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it's fixed. The rubber seat was fine, but the faucet still didn't work. I took it back to lowe's this morning and got a different brand of faucet, installed it, and now have water (or no water, as the case may be).