Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Rick,We had been going over problems that I was

Customer Question

Hello Rick,We had been going over problems that I was having with an irrigation well and submersible pump. When we spoke a few days ago we had narrowed it down to the submersible pump. I have an employee who has been helping me and while I was not there, he decided to take the initiative and take the cap off of the well. While doing this, he decided to cut the pvc pipe that ran through the center of the cap. When I came back there was only a hole down the well. I'm assuming that this pvc pipe was part of the attachment to the submersible pump because there is nothing in sight. I ran a line to the bottom and it appears that the well is 135 feet deep. The water table is much higher, because we're in Florida and within a couple hundred yards from a river. I've attached a before and after picture. Suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Well if your guy didn't pull the pump out first that was a pretty big oops. If he just cut the line then I assume the pipe and pump are still in the well. Is that the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes unfortunately, I have a pretty powerful flashlight and I can see water at around 40-50 feet and nothing else,The well is 135 feet.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
So the chances of you retrieving the pump are pretty slim if you don't even see the pipe at 50'. You could call a well service company and see if they have any options for retrieving the pipe & pump. The problem is that you won't be able to drop a new pump in if you can't get the old one out. Unless the water level is high enough that you have adequate water and well recovery to accommodate a pump that's not as deep as it could/should be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the thought occurred to me that if the well is 135' and the water is at 50 feet that there might be extra room for another well pump. If the well is 135 feet deep, how much piping would they have put in there?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
No way to know. By way of example. My well is 400' deep but the pump is only down ~300'. I'd suggest you drop something down the well that's about the diameter of a new pump. Then see how far it gets before it hangs up and how much water is above that point.