Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I own a small commercial property in los angeles. its about

Customer Question
Hi I own a small...
Hi I own a small commercial property in los angeles. its about 3,000 square feet with 3 stores. The water was was overflowing for the second time in a week, so i called a plumber for a hydrojet, the plumber arrived at my store at 8am he used the snake for two hours he couldnt clear the lines and my unit and the the other unit bathrooms were flooded
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
3/22/2016
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 1 year ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Where was the plumber snaking the drain from? The outside clean out access?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
originally he was snaking from the drain for 2 hours and then he told me you need a clean out asap, if i hydrojet all 3 stores will have major water damage

So he never used the access outside? Was it because he could not find it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there was not a clean out on the propery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since i was responsible for my 2 tenants, i was worried he gave me a price of 2,500 for a cleanout and hydrojet was that a fair price
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he told me you need a clean out for me to clear the lines, and hydrojet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
because water was overflowing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he had to take some plants out and dig a few holes to install the clean out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i want to know if hes job was done properly and what a fair price is

There has to be an access outside. It should already have one. The plumber is going to add a clean out and not locate the existing one? So, this is already done? All is fixed now? It seems a bit expensive. How deep was the pipe that the clean out was added?

Do you have a picture of the clean out that was added?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its already done, its working and the pipe was 4 inches,

It was only 4 inches deep in the ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i text u the picture

Post it right here. Just use the paper clip icon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it saying the file is to large
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to send

One picture is too large? How deep was the pipe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me ask him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 inches

Seems pretty high to add a clean out and clear the drain......about $700-1000 too much.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he was there from 8am till 5pm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how much is it for the clean out and how much for the hydrojet

I am not sure what he was doing there that long....I guess trying to snake it out before adding the clean out? Still seems quite high to me. There is not a set price for either but considering that there was very little digging I would say at most $450 for each.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what can i do i already paid him can i report him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for overcharging me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this happened on saturday

There is not much that can be done besides complain directly to them. The only way that could have been avoided would be to get some other quotes. I guess they charged more for the weekend but surely a pretty hefty charge to add a clean out and clear a drain pipe. Hopefully they will be reasonable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was overflowing i didnt have time

I know, it really is unfortunate to be taken in a situation like this. They took advantage. Possibly pay to get a quote or two and small claims court some of your money back.....or with a discussion they may make it right without any issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i take him to small claims court
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i report him to the plumbers license

Absolutely yes. There is nothing to report as they did not break any rules or laws but they did overcharge. A judge may award some of the money back though. Surely talking to them may get things worked out before having to go to court.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could you give me a breakdown of what you consider fair pricing for the clean out and hydrojet

There is not any way that what I would suggest would be anywhere near accurate. The best estimate will come from an on site estimate. I would estimate that the cleanout would be 2- 4" Fernco couplings $36 1- 4" Wye $18 1- 4" clean out cap $11 labor $350 Then the hydrojet $300 snake drain $300. I am struggling to come close to it costing $2500 but none of the numbers that I put together will be very accurate. You will get the best result for accurate estimates from on site visits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i put a stop payment on he's check can he put a lien on my property

Yes I do believe they can. Best to have a conversation with them about it. Hopefully they will be understanding. Maybe an agreement can be met.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my mistake the clean out was 4 feet deep

Well that is a very large difference. Still seems that the charge was quite extensive but surely this is still should only have taken a few more hours than the original depth I thought it was. It still may be in your best interest to pay for an estimate from another company to compare to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my question was not answered, 2 plumbers showed up at 8am because water was overflowing they were draining for 2 hours coundnt clear the lines, because there was roots, and they found baby wipes, then they recommended installing a clean out,
which they went to home depot to buy the parts, they installed the clean out 4 feet deep, hydro jetted for 3 hours, found many roots and removed them and then they resetted 2 toilets and sealed them, and they provided me the video of my sewer line.
they charged me $2500 they were there from 8am till 5pm. is that a fair price?
can you give me an educated estimate for this work?

As I suggested before, it is very difficult to be accurate without being onsite. The best estimate will come from an on site estimate. I would estimate that the cleanout would be 2- 4" Fernco couplings $36 1- 4" Wye $18 1- 4" clean out cap $11 labor $350 Then the hydrojet $300 snake drain $300. I am struggling to come close to it costing $2500 but none of the numbers that I put together will be very accurate. You will get the best result for accurate estimates from on site visits. My estimate would be in the $1200 range.

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber