Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

The contactor on my water well keeps going on and off with

Customer Question

the contactor on my water well keeps going on and off with water running
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This short cycling that you describe is usually caused by a failed diaphragm in the holding tank. The fix is to replace the tank.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you tap on the tank with a screwdriver handle you should get a more hollow sound toward the bottom if the tank is good. If it has failed you'll get a dull thud from top to bottom.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's also possible there's too little air pressure in the tank. The first thing to check is to press the valve stem on the top of the tank if water comes out the tank is junk. If you get air out then you need to shut off the pump and run the water until the pressure drops to 0. Then put a tire pressure gauge on the snifter (air) valve and check the pressure. It should be 2 psi below the cut in setting on the pressure switch