Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

What is non potable water? Is it dangerous?

Customer Question

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Non-potable water is water not fit for human consumption. It may be suitable for other purposes. It can be harmful if consumed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I walked past these large water bottle/ tanks labeled with " non potable water". And there was a skull illustration to it as if it was poison. Is it harmful to pass by these tanks? It was sort of windy.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not harmful unless to come in contact with the water. Even then it may only be harmful if you consume the water. Walking by the tanks poses no risk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is non potable water extremely toxic?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's a broad classification. Like I said before it's not fit for human consumption. How toxic is not specified by the non-potable label.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the main examples of non potable water? In a city like New York City ?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Like I said before it can mean any water not fit for human consumption. That's all it means. There's no way to answer your last question.