How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to connect my ge smart water system with a non air

Customer Question

I want to connect my ge smart water system with a non air gap faucet.
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: What do I do with the black lines if I have a non air gap faucet?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Plumber responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Please elaborate. What do you mean by a "non air gap faucet"? What is the model number of your GE system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air gap faucets have three inputs, two small barbed nipples and a threaded main; non-air gap faucets have only one threaded water input. There is a black brine line coming from the carbon filter on top of the triple filtration system that is supposed to connect to one of the faucet nipple inputs. Then there is a faucet nipple output that runs to the drain line. the third faucet input is of course for the water. If I connect a regular faucet without an air gap I need to know how to connect the brine line to the drain in a way that substitutes for the air gap feature of the old faucet. My idea is to connect an in line one way valve that would prevent water from returning. Would this work?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you're talking about an air gap fitting not a faucet. I need the model number of your unit so I can follow your description.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GE Startwater GXRV10ABL is the model. Its sounds like you are not familiar with an air gap faucet that comes with a built in weep hole on the Smartwater models. I am replacing that faucet with a regular faucet and I need to know where to connect the brine and drain lines as a substitute for the built in air gap feature.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.