Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a Rinnai R53 tankless water heater, 7 years old.

Customer Question
While taking a shower, it...
I have a Rinnai R53 tankless water heater, 7 years old. While taking a shower, it quit. I pulled the cover and found the two 3amp fuses blown. Turned off power, replaced fuses, turned on power and both fuses blew again. Where do I start looking?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
3/5/2016
Plumber: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Hi Jack, welcome to justanswer.com

Check the transformer and gas valve for short circuit with a multimeter. The primary & secondary of the transformer should be tested.

Unplugged the secondary from the circuit board, powered up unit (primary still plugged in) plugged in secondary and fuses immediately blew. Blown transformer?
What are the primary and secondary voltages of the power transformer for a Rinnai R 53 tankless water heater

Jack, my apologies for the site issue that prevented me from replying to your question.

Plumber: Derek Williams,
 replied 2 years ago
Derek Williams

Hello my name is***** to just answer. Let me try to help if i can. I hate to say this, but this is a common problem with toilet cleaner tablets. What you will need to do is get a toilet auger. from home depot or lowe's and auger the obstruction out of the bowl. you want to get the regular and not the drop head version, since the opening in the bowl is narrow. this should get it out for you.

Plumber: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Unfortunately you'll need to replace the PCBoard. It shorted out and there isn't anything other you can do. There is a troubleshooting guide online and that is their direction. Google your model number for the guide.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician