Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a Bradford gas water heater about 3 years old, model…

Customer Question
I have a Bradford White...
I have a Bradford White gas water heater about 3 years old,
model number MI75S6BN
We had a power outage for a couple of hours so I shut off the water heater. the power is back on.
Now I can't get the pilot to light, following the instructions on the water heater.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
3/5/2016
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Are you pressing the igniter repeatedly? It's difficult to see the spark through the viewing port

I pressed the igniter repeatedly while holding down the pilot button for several minutes.

You could have a faulty igniter or possibly a clogged pilot burner orifice. You'll need to remove the burner chamber access panel. Once it's off you can see the spark (if any) better.

I am reluctant to start taking things apart. If you think I am following the right steps to light the pilot and it's not working, I should just call the plumber that installed the unit to come out and fix it.

If you're following the instructions on the front of the tank (sounds like you are) and you're reluctant to remove the access panel then calling a plumber would be appropriate. BTW you don't have to turn off the water heater when there is a power failure.

What happens if the water drains from the water heater, can the unit be damaged if it is not turned off first?

There's no way a power failure would cause the tank to drain out.

thanks

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor