Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a 25 year old Kohler San Raphael toilet that is

Customer Question

I have a 25 year old Kohler San Raphael toilet that is flushing erratically or has to be flushed more than once to clear the bowl. Lately the bowl fills with water and slowly drains or incompletely drains. At other times it drains well. I have plunged the bowl and used a short snake to try and clear the line. There are two other similar toilets on the same system, at the same 1st floor level and they drain well.
Thanks,
Ken ***@******.***
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Toilets of this vintage are notorious for clogging up and what you're describing to me sounds like a common stoppage. I have the same toilet and I have to plunge it occasionally. It's also possible that there's something caught in the bowl and unless you used a closet/toilet auger (see pic) what snake you used probably just went right by it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use the auger you are describing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then there still could be something caught in the bowl and the only other option is to pull it off the floor and check as well as running the auger through the bowl from the outlet. If you don't find anything or this doesn't resolve the problem then either the bowl is defective or whatever is stuck in there is not coming out or this is just a periodic clog that's common to this toilet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Geez! I think I will do more with the auger a few times before venturing into removing the toilet. I have remover a toilet before but this a an elongated bowl and looks to be a little heavy. Therefore, I'll try everything else before the removal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can the bowl be defective? There isn"t much there to go bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to check with you later after I do a little more work on the bowl. Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Yes 1 piece toilets are a bear to wrestle with. We got a toilet jack so 1 guy cold set them without ruining his back. A defective bowl is the least likely but they do occasionally have an internal defect that doesn't show up for years.