Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Ihave a waterheater that needs a new thermocouple can you

Customer Question

Ihave a waterheater that needs a new thermocouple can you tell me about universal thermocouples?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I think the thermocouple is just old I am not sure that I will be able to match the part using the serial number when I started looking into replacements I saw the term universal thermocouple and I want to know if there is a possibiliy yhat I can find something that will work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Plumber should know?
Customer: Idon't know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your water heater.

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

What kind of problem are you having with the water heater, the pilot will not stay lit?

I see you are offline and I am going offline as well. Please leave your response and I will get back to you as soon as I am notified. Please explain what you have done so far and the make and model of your water heater, so I can look up the parts and see if you can use a universal replacement.

Thanks

Don

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water heater is a US Craft Master model# ***** the other notes I have are serial#(###) ###-####3NOV. (and) Thermoouple with wire clips on side.

What is the problem? The pilot will not stay lit?

If that is the problem, you can use a generic thermcouple to get it working again.

I have tried to find tech info on your model, but it is hard to come by,

Does your thermocouple go directly from the pilot to the valve or is there a connection in between with wires going up to the control? Most thermocouples have a screw type connector that screws into the gas valve. like this click here

Is your like that?

You stated you have one with wires.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am not there to see it. If you would like to upload a couple of photos, it may speed things up. Use the paper clip function

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, click here please, tell me if your thermocouple has and end that screws into the gas valve or not. If it does, a generic replacement thermocouple will work, take yours in to a hardware store and ask for a match up.