How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21370
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Devoonshire widespread Faucet 494-4 Bronze. The right

Customer Question

I have Devoonshire widespread Faucet 494-4 Bronze. The right handle is moving freely and does not control water. How do I remove the skirt and change the valve asesembly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You hold the handle and turn/unscrew the handle base below the lever. I assume you mean you ave a K394. Once you have the handle off be sure to check the stem before you go through the trouble of replacing it. If the stem also turns freely then replace it. If it doesn't then the valve body is probably set too low on the sink and it's not engaging the handle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rick,
I can unscrew the handle (only) but I can not move the skirt below the lever which would allow me to see the stem.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The base below the lever unscrews. If you can't turn it by hand then it could be seized up. You can try using a strap wrench to turn it so you don't mar the finish

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's also possible that the handle has come loose from the stem extension that connects the handle to the stem but you still need to remove the base to get to it