Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have Devoonshire widespread Faucet 494-4 Bronze. The right…

Customer Question
I have Devoonshire widespread Faucet...
I have Devoonshire widespread Faucet 494-4 Bronze. The right handle is moving freely and does not control water. How do I remove the skirt and change the valve asesembly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
2/28/2016
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You hold the handle and turn/unscrew the handle base below the lever. I assume you mean you ave a K394. Once you have the handle off be sure to check the stem before you go through the trouble of replacing it. If the stem also turns freely then replace it. If it doesn't then the valve body is probably set too low on the sink and it's not engaging the handle

Thanks Rick,
I can unscrew the handle (only) but I can not move the skirt below the lever which would allow me to see the stem.
Suraj

The base below the lever unscrews. If you can't turn it by hand then it could be seized up. You can try using a strap wrench to turn it so you don't mar the finish

It's also possible that the handle has come loose from the stem extension that connects the handle to the stem but you still need to remove the base to get to it

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor