Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Gas water heater is not providing hot water Blower fan comes…

Customer Question
Gas water heater is not...
Gas water heater is not providing hot water
Blower fan comes on and off repeatedly
Valve made by RobertShaw
Green light blinking three times. Legend indicates that this means "pressure switch fails to open" or "pressure switch fails to close"
Is this something that I can re-set by myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/18/2016
Plumber: Brad Neighbour,
 replied 2 years ago
Brad Neighbour

Hi there. Usually when a pressure switch fails to open or close it usually means the combustion air blower is going slower than in normal operation. I would try to clean the fins of the blower itself. The pressure switch should be a black circle with clear tubes coming out it. Make sure the tubes are clear and not pinched.Try blowing threw each tube as well. Disconnect wires to pressure switch and then reconnect. the pressure switch is 24 volts so it is safe to work on while the power is on. Let me know how you make out.

Plumber: Brad Neighbour,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi again. I forgot to tell you a few more things you can try. Blow into the tubes (clear or black) that go to the direction of the pressure switch. Sometimes this will open or close the switch. Disconnect the pipe that connects to the blower to make sure there is no blockage in the venting. Run just long enough to see if it works. If it does you know you have a blockage in the piping. Sorry I am rambling abit. Could be a lot of different things. Hope this helps..

I checked the vent cover outside of the house a build-up of ice was interfering with the exhaust. Once I removed the ice, the start & stop of the fan was resolved and we started to get hot water. It all works now
Plumber: Brad Neighbour,
 replied 2 years ago

Awesome. Good to hear.