Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Bettybull. My name is ***** *****. we rent a house that was…

Customer Question
Hi bettybull. My name...

Hi bettybull. My name is ***** *****. we rent a house that was built in the early to mid-70s. For the past couple weeks, the hot water faucet has turned itself on in our shower a few times. When we turn it off, you can literally watch the knob turn back to the on position and water begins to flow. If we crank the knob hard enough into the off position, it remain off. I am trying to determine the cause so I can discuss this with the management company and they can contact the owner. So, the question is: What cause the hot water faucet to twist itself on?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Built in 1974, we believe. The tub faucet is a three-knob design. There are no markings on anything except the tub drain control plate. It seems to be a Price Pfister model. Only the hot water is affected.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
2/14/2016
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like the the faucet is worn out and needs to be replaced. Some faucets will open by themselves if too much grease was put on the faucet stem but that would only be the case if this was worked on recently