Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My Kinetico softener and iron remover still producing hard…

Customer Question
My Kinetico softener and iron...
My Kinetico softener and iron remover still producing hard water since whole-house humidifier insallation. System is using salt after 8 manual regenerations, but water is still hard. Any ideas what i can try? Did a valave get shut off during humidifier installation? Neither the iron remover nor the softener are removing iron or softeneing water since the humidifier install. Also, I let the salt tank run out of salt on accident while i was traveling. I have added salt back and regenerated manually many times. Water is still hard and rusty. Any ideas what to check? System is 1 year old and works great normally. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
2/14/2016
Plumber: Brad Neighbour,
 replied 2 years ago
Brad Neighbour

Hi there. First thing I would do is follow the plumbing. Your water softener and Iron filter will have an inlet and an outlet. Follow the plumbing water lines and make sure all necessary valves are on. Check and make sure you are not on bypass on the water softener.

How do you check to see if you are on bypass?
Plumber: Brad Neighbour,
 replied 2 years ago

Most Kinetico softeners have a black bypass valve near the inlet and outlet. Look for a bypass dial. What is the model number of the Softner?