Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My water softener tank is empty but the water is running…

Customer Question
My water softener tank is...
My water softener tank is empty but the water is running sometimes very loudly and sounds like it's draining through the washing machine drain. It's a Pentair Autorol 740/760. No error message is on the display.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
1/29/2016
Plumber: Tyler Redinger,
 replied 2 years ago
Tyler Redinger

Hey I would like to help you with your water softener. Do you notice the issue just at random times? I know water softeners have what they call backwash (upflow)mode. When untreated water is washed out to a drain. That could be what your hearing.

Plumber: Tyler Redinger,
 replied 2 years ago

Hey how's it going? Is your softener still making that noise? The drain pipe from your softener could drain into the same pipe your washer drains into. Which could sound like your washers draining. But it's actually your water softener doing its cleaning!